An Apple television set could "disrupt the status quo" according to Barclays Capital analyst Ben Reitzes.
Reitzes believes that an Apple-branded television set could make headwinds in the $180 billion LCD TV hardware market. The Barclays analyst believes that Apple could take 5% of the market with a set costing $1,500. He assumes 40% gross margins on the device, which means an Apple-branded TV could add $5.40 in earnings in fiscal 2013.
"Apple's eventual television could be so much more than a TV - including gaming, video communication, content delivery, apps, computing and all the capabilities of the current Apple TV - that it is really not fair to compare it to products already on the market," Reitzes wrote. He rates Apple "overweight" with a $730 price target.
Since Steve Jobs first spoke about a television set in his biography, speculation has run rampant about the technology. "It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine," Jobs told biographer Walter Isaacson. "I finally cracked it."While Apple TV remains shrouded in secrecy, there's little doubt that consumer excitement about the rumored device will continue to escalate. Apple declined to comment for this story. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV