Target Corp. and Macy's also posted solid results and raised their forecasts.
Target reported revenue in stores open at last one year rose 7.3 percent, better than the 5.4 percent analysts expected. The company raised its fiscal first quarter guidance based on the strong results.
Macy's reported the revenue figure rose 7.3 percent, beating expectations of a 4.8 percent rise. The company raised its forecast for revenue in stores open at least one year during the combined March and April period, to a 4.3 to 4.5 percent rise, from prior guidance of 3 to 3.5 percent rise.
But not everyone beat expectations. Costco Wholesale Corp.'s revenue at stores open at least a year climbed 6 percent in March, falling short of the 6.7 percent increase analysts expected. Stripping out higher gas prices and the negative impact of foreign currencies, revenue at stores in the U.S. increased 5 percent and climbed 9 percent internationally.And the teen sector was a weak spot, with both The Buckle and Wet Seal missing analyst expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV