BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Forget the hedge funds and mutual funds for a minute. If you want to follow the moves of a prescient group of professional investors, keep an eye on the endowments.
While traditional institutional investors get a lot of attention from Wall Street, endowment funds are shoveling gains to a different sort of "institution": colleges, universities and nonprofits. And with billions of dollars in assets and dedicated in-house portfolio management teams, the moves being made by these institutions of a different sort are a big deal.
University endowment managers have cash (the five biggest college endowments alone manage more than $86.5 billion), and they have talent (veterans include Mohamed El-Erian, the Pimco co-CIO who previously headed Harvard's mammoth endowment) -- and thanks to 13F filings with the SEC, we can take a look at the stocks endowments are bullish on this quarter.To be sure, stocks and ETFs only make up part of endowments' AUM; filings show around $23.7 billion in equity investments as of the most recent quarter. But they also poured significant assets into new stock positions this past quarter. Today, we'll take a look at five of the biggest position increases endowment funds took on.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV