NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Tech stocks turned red on Wednesday, continuing the sector's recent bearishness, as the Nasdaq Composite Index lost more than 1%.
Flash storage firm SanDisk (SNDK) was the sector's biggest laggard, plunging 10.73% to $44.68 as investors digested the company's weak first-quarter guidance, delivered late on Tuesday.
SanDisk's forecast also weighed heavily on shares of fellow Flash specialists LSI (LSI) and Micron Technology (MU) on Wednesday. SanDisk's stock down was 3.88% to $8.43 in late afternoon trading, while Micron tumbled 4.26% to $7.65., and LSI shares gave back 3.4% to $8.47.
Shares of Cisco (CSCO) were also under pressure, falling 2.31% to $20.34. The selling continued a downdraft that started on Tuesday after CEO John Chambers' recent comments about weak public sector spending.Hardware and software giant IBM (IBM) was off 1.63% to $206.08 after Bank of America Merrill Lynch downgraded the company from buy to neutral, citing limited valuation and near-term upside. Yahoo! (YHOO), however, was down just 0.2% to $15.15 after the embattled Internet giant announced plans to cut 2,000 employees. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV