NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The VelocityShares Daily 2X VIX Short-Term Futures ETN's (TVIX) recent meltdown has helped show the daunting challenges that come with handling premium-laden exchange-traded products. Unfortunately, despite watching this ETN's dramatic downturn, there still seems to be disturbing interest in TVIX and other disconnected instruments.
Over the course of its spectacular selloff, we have watched as the premium underlying TVIX has fallen considerably. However, it is not completely out of the woods. During late March, the fund's premium was hovering around 5%. More recently, though, it was regaining some ground, breaking back through 10%.
Interestingly, in the face of this persistent divergence (from the performance of the index it is supposed to track) and the instrument's gut-wrenching action, investors still appear willing to give TVIX a shot. On Tuesday, more than 10 million shares changed hands.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV