Shares of BancorpSouth (BXS) of Tupelo, Mo., closed at $13.53 Tuesday, returning 23% year-to-date, following last year's 30% decline.
The shares trade for 1.2 times tangible book value, and for 15 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 93 cents. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect the company to post first-quarter EPS of 16 cents, with earnings of 70 cents a share, for all of 2012.
BancorpSouth in January closed a public offering of 10,952,381 common shares at a price of $10.50, raising $109.3 million, before expenses.The company had $13 billion in total assets as of Dec. 30. Alexopoulos's price target for BancorpSouth is $12, and he matches the consensus with a first-quarter EPS estimate of 16 cents, while estimating full-year earnings of 71 cents for 2012, followed by 2013 EPS of 92 cents. The analyst said on Wednesday that the company "ended the final quarter of 2011 on a mixed note, with a mixture of both positive and negative indicators pointing in no clear direction for 2012," and that "although progress was made on the credit front," there was "still ample wood to chop, including
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV