Global test prep leader Kaplan Test Prep has teamed up with Freerice.com, a non-profit website run by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), to help in their mission to provide free education to all and a solution to world hunger. To reach this ambitious goal, Kaplan is providing Freerice with 500 SAT questions; with each question that students answer correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated to WFP to feed hungry people around the world, paid for by sponsored banners on the site.
Since its creation in 2007, Freerice players have donated almost 100 billion grains of rice, enough to feed five million people for a day. Often WFP is able to purchase the rice locally, cutting down on the time it takes to provide life-saving food to the hungry while also supporting local economies. Some of the communities that have benefited are:
- Cambodia - from June 2011 onwards, all rice raised on Freerice is going to Cambodia, where the rice is locally purchased in support of school meals activities.
- Haiti - from January to May 2011, Freerice raised nearly 6 billion grains of rice to help communities following devastating earthquakes, enough to feed nearly 300,000 people two meals for a day.
- Bangladesh - Freerice fed 27,000 refugees from Myanmar for two weeks.
“Kaplan Test Prep is proud to work with the U.N.’s World Food Programme and be a part of its efforts to combat world hunger through Freerice, while promoting education and college readiness in the process,” said Justin Serrano, president, K-12 and college prep programs, Kaplan Test Prep. “From experience, we know that many students today are looking for a way to give back and this provides them with a worthwhile opportunity to do so, while supporting their own test prep needs.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV