General Mills today released its 2012 Global Responsibility Report , detailing the company’s progress in the areas of health, communities and environment. The 2012 report can be viewed or downloaded at GeneralMills.com.
“Our approach to global responsibility is straightforward,” said Ken Powell, chairman and chief executive officer of General Mills. “It’s all about living our values. When a company’s values are in alignment with employees’ personal values, good things can happen. My hope is that our stakeholders will see our values reflected in this report – both in the company’s performance and in the stories behind the numbers.”
Highlights from General Mills’ efforts to nourish lives around the globe this past year include:
- Reaching the halfway mark toward achieving three of the company’s 2015 global sustainability goals : water, solid waste and packaging. General Mills is more than 50 percent of the way to achieving a 20 percent reduction in its water usage rate and a 50 percent reduction in its solid waste generation rate. In addition, the company has improved the packaging for 27 percent of its sales volume –more than halfway toward the 40 percent goal.
- Leveraging Continuous Improvement and Holistic Margin Management to make General Mills’ plants more efficient and environmentally friendly. By eliminating non value-added processes, labor and materials, and focusing on what matters most to our consumers, these strategies have helped minimize cost, reduce waste and drive the company’s environmental performance – while helping to keep our products affordable for consumers.
- Achieving a new record for improving the health profile of General Mills’ products. The company improved the health profile of products representing nearly 25 percent of its U.S Retail product sales in fiscal 2011. Since 2005, more than 600 of General Mills’ U.S. products have been nutritionally improved by adding whole grain, fiber or vitamins, reducing calories, fat, sugar or sodium or through other health enhancements.
- Delivering more whole grain than any other single ingredient in every Big G cereal. Whole grain is now listed first on the ingredient panel of all Big G cereals, indicating that whole grain is the most prevalent ingredient.
- Expanding our commitment to fight hunger around the world. General Mills championed hunger relief efforts from Minnesota to Malawi in fiscal 2011. The company contributed nearly $30 million in product donations to food banks and increased its hunger and nutrition wellness grants by more than 25 percent. Extending its global reach, General Mills launched Partners in Food Solutions, a hunger-fighting nonprofit organization that links the technical expertise of General Mills employees with small- and medium-sized food processors in Africa.
- Hitting $1 billion in philanthropic giving. The General Mills Foundation has given $1 billion to charitable causes around the globe since its inception in 1954. This includes a record-breaking fiscal 2011 donation totaling nearly $119 million.
General Mills’ 2012 Global Responsibility Report marks the first time the company has adopted the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines. GRI is a globally recognized, standardized framework for reporting on environmental, social and governance performance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV