CALGARY, Alberta, April 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Equal Energy Ltd. ("Equal" or "the Company") (TSX: EQU) (NYSE: EQU) is pleased to announce that, through one of its wholly owned subsidiaries, it has signed an agreement with Atlas Resource Partners, L.P. ("Atlas") (NYSE: ARP) whereby Equal will sell 50% of its interest in approximately 14,500 net undeveloped acres prospective for Mississippian light oil for total cash consideration of approximately US$18 million. Concurrently with the sale, Equal will enter into a joint venture with Atlas to embark on an active drilling program in the Mississippian play.
Don Klapko, President and Chief Executive Officer commented, "I am pleased to have been able to reach this agreement with Atlas. This joint venture fulfills our promise to find a way to accelerate development of our Mississippian play. Atlas is an accomplished oil and gas operator with extensive drilling and completion experience over a number of horizontal plays in the U.S. The evolving Mississippian oil play in northern Oklahoma has garnered significant industry attention and has demonstrated strong results. We are excited to begin an aggressive drilling program with Atlas, deploying the proceeds from the acreage sale at the drill bit, while funding our remaining capital program within the Company's cash flow."
The sale of the Mississippian interests is expected to close on or about April 25, 2012. In addition to the sale agreement, Atlas and Equal (the "Parties") will enter into a Production and Development Agreement ("PDA") which will govern the terms under which the Parties will conduct their joint venture activities. The key terms of the PDA are:
- An initial 12 well drilling program has been agreed.
- Drilling is expected to commence early in Q3 2012.
- A joint Development Committee has been created with representatives from both Parties to establish drilling, completion and production strategy.
- Atlas will conduct drilling and completion activities.
- Equal will operate the production once the wells are completed.
- It is expected many of the wells will make use of Equal's existing Hunton water handling infrastructure in Grant, Garfield and Alfalfa counties thus minimizing infrastructure costs and improving project economics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV