This is not to say with absolute conviction that Vivus won't be acquired quickly if Qnexa is approved. It's just that such a deal would be unusual. More likely, Vivus launches the weight-loss drug on its own, and if sales boom over the next 2-3 years, a suitor may come calling.
In some ways, Amylin is similar to Clinical Data, which supports the thesis that drug companies can be acquired while products are in the early launch phase. But in some other ways, Amylin is also an exception. Bydureon is not so much a brand new drug as an extended release formulation of an existing drug, Byetta, that Amylin has sold for years. In this way, Amylin is more like Icos or ImClone -- attracting a suitor well after commercial launch.
Share your thoughts about the timing of biotech takeovers in the comments section below, especially if you can think of other deals which occurred while drugs were either under FDA review or just recently launched.--Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV