The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- Rumors about the launch of Apple TV have been gaining strength with some even claiming that the new iProduct could be arriving as soon as in the second half of 2012.
Until now, however, we have not seen any evidence strong enough to support the claims. But with recent reports that leading Apple (AAPL) contract manufacturer, Foxconn's parent Hon Hai Precision Industry, has decided to buy a 11% stake in LCD display maker, Sharp, we finally see some credence in the rumors. Add to this the fact that Apple CEO, Tim Cook, is in China and has reportedly visited Foxconn's assembling unit and with this the possibility of Apple's own involvement in the deal becomes substantial.See our complete analysis of Apple.
Foxconn/Sharp to Take On SamsungHon Hai's Foxconn is one of the leading assemblers of Apple's mobile devices, including the iPhone and the iPad. On the other hand, Sharp is a struggling supply chain partner for Apple and is rumored to have fallen significantly short of Apple's expectations, manufacturing only 2.7 million Retina display panels for the new iPad.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV