TD Scholarship for Community Leadership 2012 recipients recognized for vision, leadership and community spirit
April 3, 2012
/PRNewswire/ - TD Bank Group is recognizing 20 of
most promising students by awarding each of them a 2012 TD Scholarship for Community Leadership. One of the most prestigious merit scholarships in
, it is valued at up to
per student. The scholarship recognizes and supports
emerging leaders, all of whom have demonstrated innovation and initiative while making a difference in their community. Each scholarship recipient exemplifies the best in community leadership from coast to coast.
For the 17
consecutive year, TD will contribute more than
towards the recipients' post-secondary tuition and living expenses, along with an offer of summer employment at TD for up to four years. Eligible students are in their final year of high school, or CEGEP in
. To date, TD has awarded more than
to 340 students.
"We are thrilled to recognize these exceptional students and community leaders with the TD Scholarship for Community Leadership. They offer us a glimpse of our country's bright future," said
, Deputy Chair, TD Bank Group. "TD is proud to support those who make a positive impact in their community."
Recipients were recognized for addressing a range of issues on both a local and global scale, ranging from pollution and human rights to health and cross-cultural understanding. A few of the notable achievements include:
- After participating in expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic, Donovan Taplin ( Bell Island, NL) initiated clean-ups and tree plantings in his Atlantic community.
- To spread awareness of human rights issues, Darren Touch ( Calgary, AB), rallied his community by launching a film festival and working with his school's Amnesty International group.
- Chloé Trepanier (Trois-Rivières, QC) revived the LGBT committee at her Montreal school and is active in Jeunessse Lambda, a discussion group supporting gay and questioning youth.
- Melissa Morrison ( Vancouver, BC), a member of the Namgis First Nation of Alert Bay, created a cross-cultural club called Four Directions, a place for First Nations and non-First Nations students to come together.
- Benjamin Jones ( Belleville, ON) established the Youth Belleville Centre to provide a safe environment, free from prejudice, bullying and violence, for teens to express themselves, meet new people and encourage healthy choices.
TD Scholarship for Community Leadership recipients will be honoured at a ceremony in
May 1, 2012
. In addition to recognizing their contributions, this meeting will provide recipients the opportunity to share ideas, inspiration, and their visions for the future.
TD Scholarships for Community Leadership - 2012 Recipients:
- Jennifer Hao, Burnaby, BC
- Eva Olynyk, Salt Spring Island, BC
- Leah Bae, Vancouver, BC
- Melissa Morrison, Vancouver, BC
- Darren Touch, Calgary, AB
- Claire Edwards, Edmonton, AB
- Kali O'Dell, Quispamsis, NB
- Donovan Taplin, Bell Island, NL
- Aaron Stevens, Dartmouth, NS
- Paige Zwicker, Fall River, NS
- Benjamin Jones, Belleville, ON
- Christopher Grouchy, Brighton, ON
- Joey Loi, Markham, ON
- David Beisel, Owen Sound, ON
- Samantha Manner, Owen Sound, ON
- Sajjad Jaffery, Pickering, ON
- Abby Emdin, Picton, ON
- Chloé Trépanier, Trois-Rivières, QC
- Marc-André Jean- Montenegro, Sorel-Tracy, QC
- Charles-Auguste Marois, Thetford Mines, QC
"It's inspiring to see what these twenty people have accomplished. They have demonstrated the difference that one person can make in their community," said Dr.
, Executive Director of the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership. "We are proud to support these young leaders as they pursue post-secondary education."
For more information about this year's recipients, as well as eligibility and application details for the TD Scholarships for Community Leadership, visit
TD Community Giving
TD invests in communities to make a positive impact where it does business and where our customers, clients and employees live and work. In 2011, TD donated over
to support community organizations in
the United States
, we focus on Education and Financial Literacy, Creating Opportunities for Young People, and the Environment. For more information, please visit
SOURCE TD Community Giving