TD Scholarship for Community Leadership 2012 recipients recognized for vision, leadership and community spirit
TORONTO, April 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - TD Bank Group is recognizing 20 of Canada's most promising students by awarding each of them a 2012 TD Scholarship for Community Leadership. One of the most prestigious merit scholarships in Canada, it is valued at up to $70,000 per student. The scholarship recognizes and supports Canada's emerging leaders, all of whom have demonstrated innovation and initiative while making a difference in their community. Each scholarship recipient exemplifies the best in community leadership from coast to coast.
For the 17 th consecutive year, TD will contribute more than $1 million towards the recipients' post-secondary tuition and living expenses, along with an offer of summer employment at TD for up to four years. Eligible students are in their final year of high school, or CEGEP in Quebec. To date, TD has awarded more than $17 million to 340 students.
"We are thrilled to recognize these exceptional students and community leaders with the TD Scholarship for Community Leadership. They offer us a glimpse of our country's bright future," said Frank McKenna, Deputy Chair, TD Bank Group. "TD is proud to support those who make a positive impact in their community."Recipients were recognized for addressing a range of issues on both a local and global scale, ranging from pollution and human rights to health and cross-cultural understanding. A few of the notable achievements include:
- After participating in expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic, Donovan Taplin ( Bell Island, NL) initiated clean-ups and tree plantings in his Atlantic community.
- To spread awareness of human rights issues, Darren Touch ( Calgary, AB), rallied his community by launching a film festival and working with his school's Amnesty International group.
- Chloé Trepanier (Trois-Rivières, QC) revived the LGBT committee at her Montreal school and is active in Jeunessse Lambda, a discussion group supporting gay and questioning youth.
- Melissa Morrison ( Vancouver, BC), a member of the Namgis First Nation of Alert Bay, created a cross-cultural club called Four Directions, a place for First Nations and non-First Nations students to come together.
- Benjamin Jones ( Belleville, ON) established the Youth Belleville Centre to provide a safe environment, free from prejudice, bullying and violence, for teens to express themselves, meet new people and encourage healthy choices.
- Jennifer Hao, Burnaby, BC
- Eva Olynyk, Salt Spring Island, BC
- Leah Bae, Vancouver, BC
- Melissa Morrison, Vancouver, BC
- Darren Touch, Calgary, AB
- Claire Edwards, Edmonton, AB
- Kali O'Dell, Quispamsis, NB
- Donovan Taplin, Bell Island, NL
- Aaron Stevens, Dartmouth, NS
- Paige Zwicker, Fall River, NS
- Benjamin Jones, Belleville, ON
- Christopher Grouchy, Brighton, ON
- Joey Loi, Markham, ON
- David Beisel, Owen Sound, ON
- Samantha Manner, Owen Sound, ON
- Sajjad Jaffery, Pickering, ON
- Abby Emdin, Picton, ON
- Chloé Trépanier, Trois-Rivières, QC
- Marc-André Jean- Montenegro, Sorel-Tracy, QC
- Charles-Auguste Marois, Thetford Mines, QC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV