BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- The big indices posted their best first quarter in more than a decade in the three months ended March 31. So can they do it again?
The S&P 500 climbed a full 12% in the first quarter, itself shy of the massive 18.7% rally that we saw in the Nasdaq Composite over that same period. That's some pretty staggering performance, especially when the weak trading of the latter half of 2011 is taken into account. And now, late-to-the-game investment managers are scrambling to match those returns -- after all, anyone who entered 2012 with a conservative bent is trailing the market big-time right now.
Whether Mr. Market can continue this rally is another story. At this point, the macro technical picture is still looking strong, despite less appealing fundamentals in markets like China. Earning season's start later this month could rekindle the fundamental argument for buyers to keep buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV