Payroll expenses fell about 1 percent to $378.9 million, according to the AP's financial statement. The AP had 3,473 employees at the end of 2011, down 3.6 percent from 3,602 a year earlier, the AP said.
The AP said investment in equipment was $31 million in 2011. About half of that went toward updating its video department to handle high-definition video, the AP said. Spending on equipment was $26 million in 2010 and is expected to fall to $20 million this year.
Nakashima reported from Los Angeles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV