10 Takeaways From the IMF's COFER Report
By Mark McCormick
NEW YORK ( BBH FX Strategy) -- The International Monetary Fund recently released its report on the composition of official foreign exchange reserves (COFER). Here are 10 key takeaways from the report:
1. The pace of reserve accumulation increased in the fourth quarter, rising 0.3% to $10.196 trillion from $10.163 trillion in Q3. However, the pace of reserve accumulation declined from Q3, which increased 0.9%. From the end of 2010, total reserves increased nearly $500 billion.
2. Of the $10.196 trillion in reserves, the amount of allocated reserves increased by $51 billion. This contrasts with an $18 billion decline in the unallocated reserves, which include China and Taiwan.3. The dollar holdings rose $49 billion among the total share of allocated reserves. This was a 1.4% rise from Q3 and a 7.6% rise throughout 2011. The dollar's share of the percentage of total allocated holdings also increased steadily through 2011. In Q4, the share of the U.S. allocated reserves increased to 62.1% from 61.8% in Q3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV