Last Minute Tax Tips From The IRS
WASHINGTON, April 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Even with some extra time, the tax deadline is fast approaching. Thanks to a holiday in the District of Columbia, all taxpayers have until April 17 to get Form 1040 into the IRS.
To view the multimedia assets, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/55243-irs-free-file
For people who find taxes a little too taxing, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a program that can help. It's called Free File. You can use free software to do your taxes and e-file for free. Get started at IRS.gov/freefile.
Free File is a partnership between the IRS and leading tax software providers who make their brand-name products available for free. The software does the hard work − doing the math and helping you find the tax breaks you're due.There is a free option for everyone. People who make $57,000 or less, which includes most Americans, can use the Free File software. People who make more can use Free File Fillable Forms, an electronic version of IRS paper forms. If you don't think you can meet the April 17 deadline, you can request an extension. Making the request is easy and free. You can use Free File to make your request at IRS.gov/freefile. Select "Browse the list of Free File companies" and look for "free extensions" in the company offers. But remember, this is an extension to file your return, not to pay. If you think you owe, send a payment with your extension request. The IRS recognizes many people find this time of year stressful. Here are some tips that may help:
- Don't wait until the last minute, you're prone to make mistakes;
- Use IRS.gov for answers to your questions or to track your refund;
- Use Free File, there's a free option for everyone;
- Don't panic if you can't pay; you can arrange for a payment agreement at IRS.gov
- If you can't make the April 17 deadline, use Free File to request an extension and make a payment if needed.
- Diane Fox, Free File Director, IRS, discussing the Free File program, this year's tax filing deadline, how to request an extension and tax tips:
- B-roll of individual using Free File and checks printing
- PSAs for your rotation: http://www.plowsharegroup.com/media_downloads/irs_freefile2012.php?#tabs-3
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV