NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Barack Obama met with Mexico's president and Canada's prime minister on Monday to flesh out a plan to eliminate unnecessary regulations in the three nations' trade relations, but a more pressing near-term concern was expected to be on the agenda of Canada's prime minister Stephen Harper for the closed-door talks, the Keystone XL Pipeline.
U.S. trade with Mexico and Canada in 2011 totaled some $1.06 trillion dollars, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Web site, as the United States imports more from its border neighbors than it exports to them.
|President Obama meets with North American trade partners, with the Keystone XL Pipeline on the agenda of the U.S.'s northern neighbor.|
"Our three nations are going to sit down together, go through the books and simplify and eliminate more regulations that will make our joint economies stronger," Obama told reporters Monday.Obama, Mexican President Felipe Calderon and Canadian Prime Minister Harper discussed in closed-door meetings topics including energy, climate change, immigration and the war on drugs, The Associated Press reported. The Keystone XL oil pipeline likely sat at the center of the private talks between Obama and Harper as the president's administration has delayed approval, but said it would
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV