When it comes to targeting the consumer, there are a variety of ways to approach. For example, the most risk-adverse individuals can turn to a dedicated fund like the Consumer Select Sector SPDR (XLP) in order to access a pool of defensive names like Procter & Gamble (PG) and Coca Cola (KO). On the other side of the spectrum, those looking for additional upside can turn to a niche fund like the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT).
Given the current market scenario, a middle-of-the-road approach is the best bet. Boasting attractive combinations of staple and discretionary names, products like the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Goods Index Fund (IYK) and the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Services Index Fund (IWC) will allow long-term minded investors to profit from consumer resilience, while defending against a potential shake up.
10 Consumer Stocks for the Stay-at-Home Investor April could very well end up being a strong month for the markets. However, investors should not be diving blindly into risk at this time. On the contrary, as we witnessed during March, global macroeconomic factors continue to threaten confidence. Investing in the weeks ahead will take a careful eye, a level head and perhaps most important, patience.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV