Shares of the Merillville, Ind.-based energy company hit a 52-week high of $24.73 on Monday. The stock's 52-week low of $17.95 was set on Aug. 9.
NiSource's stock trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 16.3X; the average for gas distribution companies is 18.39X. For comparison, Spectra Energy (SE) has a lower forward P/E of 15.59X; Oneok's (OKE) forward P/E is 19.94X.Nine of the 11 analysts who cover NiSource rate at it hold. One analyst gives the stock a buy rating and another rates it at sell. Analyst comment: "We believe 2012 will have multiple positive catalysts for the shares including raising the dividend and establishing a payout policy, additional infrastructure opportunities in the Marcellus and Utica shale plays, and incremental detail around the transmission pipe modernization opportunity," KeyBanc Capital Markets analysts wrote in a March 21 report. TheStreet Ratings gives NiSource a B grade with a buy rating and $31.83 price target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV