Linear Technology: S&P Intraday Laggard
The S&P 500 was gaining 4.18 points, or 0.3%, to 1,412.65.
Shares of Linear Technology fell 2.58% to $32.83. The stock was downgraded Sunday by UBS analysts to neutral from buy.
"While our sector view remains positive, we note that the pace of recovery in industrial markets, especially China, is not fast enough to justify the valuation at 17x P/E; furthermore at 75% gross margin we see limited margin leverage in LLTC (unlike ADI)," UBS analysts wrote in the report Sunday. "We downgrade to Neutral & within the analog sector we prefer ADI on margin leverage & Maxim on smartphone leverage."Linear Technology has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 14.76 times; the average for semiconductor companies is 15.53.. For comparison, Analog Devices (ADI) has a lower forward P/E of 14.67; Altera's (ALTR) forward P/E is 17.7. Twelve of the 24 analysts who cover Linear Technology rated it hold. Nine analysts rated the stock buy and three gave the stock a sell rating. TheStreet Ratings gives Linear Technology an A- grade with a buy rating and a $38.46 price target. The stock has risen 9.31% year to date. -- Written by Alexandra Zendrian
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alexandra Zendrian >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Alexandra Zendrian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV