Updated with comments from Credit Suisse about PNC's expected compliance with Basel III capital requirements, in mid-2014.
"At 12x 2013 earnings" estimates, Usdin said that current price "valuation seems pretty fair" for most of the banks covered by Jefferies, and said "the group will likely need even-better loan growth" than analysts expect, "to power through from here."
Of course, some of the best-known banking names outside of Usdin's coverage universe are trading at much lower multiples to forward earnings:
- Shares of Bank of America (BAC) closed at $9.57 Friday, returning 72% year-to-date, following a 58% plunge during 2011. The shares trade for just eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.20, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Bank of America is also trading at a heavily discounted 0.8 times tangible book value, according to HighlineFI.
- Citigroup (C) closed at $36.55 Friday, returning 39% year-to-date, following last year's 44% drop. Citi trades trades for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $4.78. The shares are also discounted to 0.7 times tangible book value.
- JPMorgan Chase closed at $45.98 Friday, returning 39% year-to-date, following a 20% decline during 2011. While JPMorgan is generally considered a safer play than BAC or Citi, with the shares trading for 1.5 times tangible book value, the shares still appear cheap to forward earnings, trading for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.52.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV