Updated from 5:43 p.m. ET to add commentary on April historically being the best month of the year.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you thought meager earnings growth in the first quarter was going to derail this rally, think again.
The low bar theory is already making the rounds as Citigroup pointed out Monday that 2% year-over-year growth for the S&P 500 is "not hard to beat," and said it expects corporate earnings to top the current consensus view by 3.5%. The firm is less optimistic about later in the year though, saying the expectation for 16% growth in the fourth quarter is "far more questionable."
In fact, Citigroup expects "no EPS growth acceleration in coming quarters," i.e. the rest of fiscal 2012, and said it believes estimates for the energy sector in the latter part of the year may be too high."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV