Stocks Surge to Start Second Quarter
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks rose on the first day of the new quarter, extending the year's winning streak, after data showed that domestic manufacturing continued to improve last month.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 52 points, or 0.4%, to finish at 13,264. The blue-chip index ranged from 13,297 to 13,154 during the session, and is now up 8.6% in 2012.
The S&P 500 gained 10 points, or 0.7%, to close at 1419. The index is up 12.8% year-to-date, its best beginning in more than a decade. The Nasdaq tacked on 28 points, or 0.9%, to settle just shy of 3120.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV