iRobot Corp. (NASDAQ: IRBT), a leader in delivering robotic technology-based solutions, announced that three of the company’s robots have been purchased by Progress Energy and are in use at the Robinson Nuclear Plant near Hartsville, SC.
Progress Energy purchased one iRobot 710 Warrior® and two iRobot 510 PackBot® robots. Warrior, a powerful and rugged robot, carries payloads weighing more than 150 pounds and lifts up to 220 pounds. Modular, adaptable and expandable, PackBot is a tactical mobile robot that performs multiple missions while keeping the operator out of harm’s way.
“iRobot’s unmanned ground vehicles have proven their worth as rugged tools that can be used in a wide range of missions,” said Tim Trainer, interim general manager of iRobot’s Military Robots business unit. “Robots mitigate risk by keeping personnel out of radioactive environments and serve as a cost-effective way to perform operations. iRobot is excited about growing its presence in this market.”
Warrior and PackBot also continue to play a vital role at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. After last year’s earthquake and tsunami, iRobot sent two Warrior and two PackBot robots to the country and provided operator training. Since then, the robots have been used on a regular basis to remove debris and measure radiation levels at the plant.About iRobot Corp. iRobot designs and builds robots that make a difference. The company’s home robots help people find smarter ways to clean, and its government and industrial robots protect those in harm’s way. iRobot’s consumer and military robots feature iRobot Aware® robot intelligence systems, proprietary technology incorporating advanced concepts in navigation, mobility, manipulation and artificial intelligence. For more information about iRobot, please visit www.irobot.com. Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50222769&lang=en
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV