Keryx shares fell 56% TO $2.16 in Monday pre-market trading. Shares of Aeterna Zentaris (AEZS), which own ex-U.S. rights to perifosine, were down 63% to 79 cents.
The failed phase III study enrolled 468 patients with advanced colon cancer, randomizing them to treatment with perifosine plus Roche's Xeloda or a placebo plus Xeloda. Perifosine failed to improve overall survival, the primary endpoint of the study, Keryx said.
"We are all extremely disappointed with the results of the study," said Keryx CEO Ron Bentsur, adding that the company will evaluate whether or not to continue a separate phase III study of perifosine in multiple myeloma.Not everyone is surprised at perifosine's failure. University of Chicago oncologist Dr. Mark Ratain and I predicted the negative outcome of the colon cancer study last October. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV