NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Beauty company Coty submitted a non-binding proposal to buy Avon Products for $23.25 a share in cash, or about $10 billion.
"Following extensive but unsuccessful attempts to engage Avon in discussions regarding its proposal, Coty has decided to make its proposal public in order to inform Avon's shareholders of the significant value in a transaction. Coty said it has no intention of pursuing an acquisition on a hostile basis," Coty said in a statement on Monday.
Coty said the proposal is a premium of 27% over the three month volume-weighted average price for Avon.
Avon shares closed Friday at $19.36 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV