Comcast, OWN Cut Distribution Deal: Report
PHILADELPHIA (TheStreet) -- Comcast (CMCSA) has reached a distribution deal with the Oprah Winfrey Network that will increase the number of homes that can view the network's programs, according to a published media report.
Under the agreement, 17 million Comcast subscribers will have access to OWN, up from about 14 million right now, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the situation.
As of Dec. 31, Philadelphia-based Comcast had 22.3 million video subscribers, the Journal noted.
In addition, Comcast agreed to begin paying subscriber fees to OWN at the beginning of 2013, the newspaper said, citing the anonymous sources.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Those payments spell good news for OWN, which is jointly owned by talk-show host and actress Oprah Winfrey and Discovery Communications (DISCA). The network has seen management upheaval and cost overruns, and is looking to boost subscription fees, the Journal noted. Shares of Comcast finished Friday's session up 18 cents, or 0.6%, at $30.01. Shares of Discovery Communications ended the session up $1.19, or 2.4%, at $50.60.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV