Ken Griffey, Jr. & Winky Wright Lead Winning Teams In MJCI Celebrity-Amateur Competition
LAS VEGAS, March 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- World-renowned "hitters" Ken Griffey, Jr. and Winky Wright brought their skills to the golf course and emerged victorious in the celebrity-amateur tournament of the 11th annual Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational (MJCI) at Shadow Creek Golf Course, hosted by ARIA Resort & Casino.
Working in concert with their respective foursome of amateur golfers, Griffey, Jr. shot a 19-under par 53 in the first round of the celeb-am Thursday, while Wright's team shot a sensational 22-under par 50 during Friday's second round. Griffey, Jr.'s team tied host Michael Jordan's foursome but earned the win via tiebreaker.
First round of MJCI's two-person, 36-hole celebrity-only scramble teed off this morning ( click here for pairing and tee times); champions will be announced tomorrow at 3 p.m. The winning celebs each will take home $20,000 for their designated charities.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM MJCI CELEBRITY-AMATEUR COMPETITION:
- The legend himself, Michael Jordan , was in great spirits during MJCI's celebrity-amateur tournament, driving around Shadow Creek in a Carolina blue No. 23 golf cart blaring R&B tunes. Following an incredible drive on the 18th fairway, a spectator shouted to Jordan that he should "show Tiger [Woods] a thing or two [about golf]." Jordan chuckled and answered, "I'm not stupid!" and followed it up with, "Let's play 18 more!"
- It's a bird, it's a plane, it's NFL superstar Aaron Rodgers driving what spectators called the "best shot of the day" on Shadow Creek's very first hole. Rodgers' luck continued throughout the two-day tournament; when he knocked in a birdie putt on No. 5 his entire team tackled him in celebration.
- ESPN commentator Michael Wilbon said in an interview that "every kid in Chicago, ages 5 to 50, idolizes Michael Jordan as the best sports player of all time because of the impact he left on the city." Wilbon joked that his five-year-old son asked him if Jordan will ever retire.
- Actress/model Angie Everhart spotted a pint-size beauty queen among the spectators and offered to let the eight-year-old tiara-wearing princess putt her ball on the 9th hole. The ecstatic young girl leaped at the chance, but got stage fright once she got to the green and shyly handed the putter back to Everhart. Later in the day, Everhart exclaimed that meeting fans and sharing experiences was "the best play of my game today."
- Even after years of marriage, "the Great One" still aims to impress his wife. While in conversation on hole 9, Janet Jones-Gretzky ducked as the team behind her yelled "fore!" and a golf ball flew overhead, landing within feet of the hole. Instantly suspicious, she asked, "Was that Wayne?" After confirming that husband Wayne Gretzky hit the beautiful shot, she said knowingly, "He's showing off for me."
- NHL wonder Brett Hull must've been excited about his shots for the day, as he literally skipped his way to Hole No. 9 where he earned a par.
- When a golf ball was tossed to World Cup champion Brandi Chastain, she instinctively tried to stop it like a soccer ball, prompting jokes about her attempt at creating a sports crossover. Chastain sparked laughs on day two when she warned onlookers to "back up because this ball can go anywhere!" as one of her teammates stepped up to putt.
- Uncharacteristic of a pitcher, former Atlanta Braves' star John Smoltz smashed a 300-yard drive down the No. 1 fairway, starting an amazing second day in the tournament.
- Cedric the Entertainer began his round with a fake English accent yelling, "Good Morning! Don't mind the accent, sometimes it just feels right." Chuckling to himself he later remarked, "I don't know where that came from."
- Although normally quiet, Shadow Creek has been anything but during the first two days of MJCI. The music's bumping and celebs are dancing as their favorite music plays during every swing, compliments of built-in stereos on their golf carts. Hockey all-star Gretzky's team was seen dancing to Pitbull's "Give Me Everything" and later blasting Pink Floyd. Aaron Rodgers ' team sported a shiny red cart blared NE-YO's "Because of You" on the 17th hole.
- Luck was on Julius "Dr. J" Erving's side at the 18th . Like a scene out of a movie, Dr. J showed his smooth moves when his third shot ricocheted off a rock in the lake, bounced back onto the green and rolled five feet from the pin. The crowd went wild!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV