The daily deals site reduced its fourth-quarter revenue by $14.3 million after initially reporting sales of $506.5 million. The revision also resulted in an increase to fourth-quarter operating expenses that reduced the company's operating income by $30 million, net income by $22.6 million and earnings by 4 cents a share.
Groupon blamed the change on a shift in the company's fourth-quarter deal mix and higher price offers, which have higher refund rates.
Investors baulked at the revision, pushing Groupon's shares down $1.68, or 9.14%, $16.70 in extended trading.Groupon, however, shrugged off the change. "We remain confident in the fundamentals of our business, as our performance continues to highlight the value that we provide to customers and merchants," explained Jason Child, the Groupon CFO, in a statement released after market close. The Chicago firm, which went public at $20 per share back in early November, also affirmed its first-quarter guidance, reiterating its revenue forecast between $510 million and $550 million and income from operations of $15 million to $35 million. Groupon also said its Form 10-K would include an acknowledgement of "material weaknesses" in its internal controls as per the findings of its independent auditor Ernst & Young LLP. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV