WINDERMERE, Fla. ( Stockpickr) -- U.S. stocks are advancing modestly on Friday, as traders continued to buy stocks into one of the strongest first quarters of trading in recent history. The Dow is up close to 8%, the S&P 500 is up just about 12%, and the Nasdaq has gained an eye-catching 19% since the start of 2012.
At last check, the Dow was trading up 57 points on Friday, and the S&P 500 was advancing by 5.4 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was up around 3 points. All major indices are trading within range of fresh multi-year highs. That said, the market has seen some selling pressure the last few days. For example, the S&P 500 has fallen for three straight days heading into today.
Traders should look for the market to show its hand as we move into next week in regards to what the next major trend is going to be. We often see window dressing at the end of a quarter, so as we head into the second quarter look for the prevailing overall trend to develop. For now that trend is up, but caution is warranted since we have seen such a powerful move in equities these last few months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV