Currency Outlook for Norway, Sweden
NEW YORK ( BBH FX Strategy) -- The Norwegian krone and Swedish krona are the strongest major currencies Friday, appreciating about 0.85% and 0.6% respectively. While the fundamental justification of the more modest gains in the other major foreign currencies may be more elusive, in the Scandi's case, fundamental developments are supportive.
Sweden reported stronger business and manufacturing confidence numbers earlier this week, but the February retail sales report was a more significant catalyst. Retail sales rose 1.2% in February. The consensus was for a 0.1% rise. The Riksbank's Ekholm suggested Friday the economy appears to have bottomed after a 1.1% contraction in fourth quarter. This week's data seems to further rule out a rate cut in April, which many had previously expected.
If monetary policy may be less accommodative, fiscal policy appears to be a bit looser. The budget authority today revised this year's forecast to a deficit of SEK13 billion from a surplus of SEK1 billion. Similarly, next year is now projected to have a budget deficit of SEK11 billion rather than a surplus of SEK14 billion. As a percent of GDP, this year's deficit is a minor 0.7%, the envy of most of the OECD.
NorwayThere are four new developments from Norway Friday. Individually and collectively, they are positive for the NOK. First, the March purchasing managers index jumped to 59.7 from a revised 56.7 reading in February (initially 56.9). The market had looked for something closer to 55.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV