NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The second quarter of 2012 has a lot to live up to but investors can take some solace in the fact that it's got history on its side.
Research firm Birinyi Associates noted earlier this week that the S&P 500, which finished the first quarter up 12%, usually books a respectable gain in the quarter following 10%-plus rise in the previous three-month period. According to Birinyi, the index has tacked on an average of 5.2% in the quarter following a 10%-plus gain and finished positive 88% of the time since 1962.
If said 10%-plus gain comes in the first quarter, the S&P 500 has averaged a 3.4% advance and been up 86% of the time.
"We are frequently asked what is 'going to be different,' or for 'themes' in the next month, quarter, year etc.," Birinyi said. "Our response has always been that the market pays no attention to the calendar, rather moves in cycles. With that being said, we expect more of the same as we start the second quarter."Michael Gayed, chief investment strategist at Pension Partners, also feels bullish about the coming quarter. He cites narrowing credit spreads as evidence of tremendous market resilience despite Greece effectively defaulting, slow growth in Europe, and fears over a China slowdown.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV