3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: March 30
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) - What's happening in small business today?
1. Startup Maryland launches.
Scott Case, CEO of Startup America and Kevin Plank, the chief executive of Under Armour (UA) are the keynote speakers to the official launch of Startup Maryland, a state-wide initiative to foster entrepreneurship, during a live webcast Friday morning.
Startup Maryland is a regional initiative launched out of the Startup America Partnership. Startup Maryland joins 17 other states to recognize high-growth startups, ramp-ups and speedups and provide resources for access to capital, corporate connections and revenue opportunities and general awareness, the organization says.
2. Small business compensation and hours worked rise in March.
Businesses with fewer than 20 employees may have slowed hiring in March, but for workers already on the payroll, compensation and hours worked increased the most in more than two years, Reuters said, citing Intuit's (INTU) March small business index.
Too often, women-business owners find themselves broke and it's because of how women "do" business. American Express (AXP) OPEN contributor Melinda Emerson says there are five telltale signs that indicate a woman is sabotaging their businesses, including charging too little, making decisions based on emotion, serving up a non-competitive attitude, not asking for the business and by embracing the "Superwoman" syndrome. "Superwoman does not exist," Emerson writes. "One of the deadliest things you can do to your small business is to refuse to delegate or ask for help." This includes finding a group of trusted advisors who are somehow invested in your success and if you also run a household, finding good people to help with the kids and chores, she says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV