Saying that Citigroup and KeyCorp "could rise" by beating consensus first-quarter earnings estimates, and that "expectations may be a bit high, for Comerica (CMA), TCF Financial (TCB) and Wells Fargo (WFC), the analyst reiterated seven buy ratings and three hold ratings.
O'Connor also said that the 26% year-to-date return of the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) versus a 12% return of the S&P 500 (SPX.X) is a "big move, banks are still down 9% since the Feb. 14, 2011 peak," and that although "the risk/reward is less compelling now vs. 3 months ago, we remain positive (albeit more selective)," with his "top picks" being JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and KeyCorp.
The analyst raised his price targets for the following three bank stocks with "Hold" ratings:For Bank of America (BAC), O'Connor raised his price target to $9.00 from $7.50. The company is scheduled to report its first-quarter results on April 19, and O'Connor estimates earnings of 20 cents a share, which is ahead of the 13-cent consensus among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Bank of America's shares have returned 72% year-to-date through Thursday's close at $9.53, following a 58% plunge during 2011. For the past 52 weeks, the shares have returned a negative 28%. O'Connor increased his price target for Comerica of Dallas to $29 from $25, saying the "Stock is up sharply this year (+26%), but there's little (if any) benefit to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV