Adjusted EBITDA increased 47% to $5.3 million for the quarter. Net income reflected increased sales and improved operating margins and rose to $1.2 million compared with $0.3 million in fiscal 2011. The Company’s net income benefited from improved pretax income and a significant decrease in the effective tax rate from 64% in fiscal 2011 to 46% in fiscal 2012, primarily due to the recognition of foreign tax credits during fiscal 2012. However, due to the utilization of net operating loss carryforwards, the Company’s cash paid for taxes remains significantly less than its effective tax rate.
Second Quarter Financial Highlights
- Sales grew in all of the Company’s primary delivery channels.
- Gross profit increased 8% to $25.0 million.
- Adjusted EBITDA increased 47% to $5.3 million, compared with $3.6 million in the prior year.
- Adjusted EBITDA/Sales percentage increased to 13.8% from 10.2% last year.
- Net income increased to $1.2 million compared with $0.3 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- EPS grew by 200%, to $.06 per diluted share, from $.02 per diluted share in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $8.2 million at February 25, 2012 with no borrowings on the revolving line of credit.
Fiscal 2012 Year-to-Date Financial Results
Consolidated sales for the two quarters ended February 25, 2012 increased $3.3 million to $78.2 million compared with $74.9 million in fiscal 2011. Sales increased over the prior year despite the impact of expected sales declines from government services contracts that totaled $4.4 million for the first two quarters of fiscal 2012. Excluding the impact of decreased government services sales, U.S./Canada direct office sales increased by 8% compared with the prior year. Sales increased at all of the Company’s other primary delivery channels for the two quarters ended February 25, 2012. Increased sales led to an increase in gross profit to $51.5 million compared with $48.2 million in fiscal 2011. Consolidated gross margin increased to 65.9% of sales compared with 64.3% of sales in fiscal 2011, primarily due to increased international licensee royalties and book royalties received primarily in the first quarter on new publications. The Company’s SG&A expenses increased $2.4 million primarily due to increased associate costs and non-cash share-based compensation costs. Amortization expense decreased $0.6 million due to the full amortization of certain intangible assets in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV