Cache Inc., (NASDAQ: CACH), a specialty chain of women’s apparel stores, reported results for the thirteen (“fourth quarter”) and fifty-two week periods (“fiscal 2011”) ended December 31, 2011.
For the 13-week period ended December 31, 2011:
- Net sales increased 12.5% to $62.9 million from $55.9 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010. Comparable store sales increased 12.4%, compared to a decrease of 6.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010;
- Gross profit increased 27.8% to $27.2 million, or 43.3% of net sales, compared to $21.3 million, or 38.1% of net sales, in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010;
- Operating income totaled $2.4 million, a significant improvement from an operating loss of $13.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2011 included $374,000 of other charges, or $0.02 per diluted share. Operating loss for the fourth quarter of 2010 included $10.5 million of other charges, or $0.51 per diluted share;
- Net income totaled $1.9 million or $0.15 per diluted share, which included the following benefits and costs: (i) a $562,000, or ($0.04) per diluted share benefit from the reversal of the tax valuation allowance against net deferred tax assets; (ii) a $396,000 after tax, or $0.03 per diluted share, non-cash store impairment charge; and (iii) a $190,000 after tax, or ($0.02) per diluted share, gain on note payable settlement. This compares to a net loss of $14.2 million, or ($1.11) per diluted share, in the prior year period, which included the following costs: (i) $5.7 million, or $0.44 per diluted share, related to the valuation allowance; (ii) a $5.6 million after tax, or $0.44 per diluted share, non-cash impairment charge after tax against the remaining carrying value of the Company’s goodwill associated with its AVD reporting unit; (iii) a $603,000 after tax, or $0.05 per diluted share non-cash store impairment charge; and (iv) $284,000 after tax, or $0.02 per diluted share, in other legal expenses ; and
- Adjusted net income for the 13-week period in fiscal 2011 was $1.5 million, or $0.12 per diluted share, excluding tax valuation allowance reversal, store impairment charges and gain on note payable settlement, as compared to adjusted net loss for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 of $2.0 million or ($0.16) per diluted share excluding impairment charges, other legal expenses and the tax valuation allowance described above.
Thomas Reinckens, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented: “The fourth quarter represented a strong finish to a positive year of growth for Cache. The year included an 8.1% increase in comparable store sales, a 490 basis point expansion in gross profit margin and solid profitability reflecting the strong acceptance of our assortments and the success of the process changes we began to implement in 2010. We are very proud of our performance this year and believe we have developed a strong foundation to continue our positive momentum in fiscal 2012 and beyond.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV