AARP's Outsmarting The Scam Artists
How to Protect Yourself from the Most Clever Cons
By Doug Shadel, Fraud Expert, State Director of AARP Washington
WASHINGTON, March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Think you're too smart to fall for a scam? That's just what the con artists are hoping. According to new research, plus interviews with dozens of con artists and thousands of victims, basic consumer smarts are no match for the emotional appeals that clever cons use to defraud consumers of millions of dollars every year. No matter how successful or intelligent, anyone can fall victim to a crime.
Exploiting ego through the Oil-and-Gas Scam
- TIP: Never make a buying decision when you are in a heightened emotional state
Exploiting faith through a Religious Ponzi Scheme
- TIP: Beware of investments sold by friends or members of a group to which you belong
Exploiting fear through the Gold Coin Scam
- TIP: Never buy coins from a telemarketer
Exploiting boredom through the Movie Scam
- TIP: Find out if the investment deal is registered with the SEC
Exploiting hope through the Lottery Scam
- TIP: Know that all foreign lottery offers are illegal in the US
Exploiting credit through the Identity Theft Scam
- TIP: Limit having several credit cards
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV