NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of the following stocks slipped to 52-week lows on Thursday: Cloud Peak Energy (CLD), EXCO Resources (XCO), Newfield Exploration (NFX), NRG Energy (NRG) and Newmont Mining (NEM).
Cloud Peak Energy
"BMO Research recommends contrarian energy investors look into Cloud Peak," BMO Capital Markets analysts wrote in a March 8 report. "Cloud Peak has an attractive coal contract position with 94% of FY2012 production priced at $13.47/t and approximately 60% of FY2013 production priced at US$14.27/t. In addition, Cloud expects to sell ~4.5Mt to the export market via Westshore Terminals in Vancouver; just 4% of volumes, but at very attractive margins given strong thermal coal pricing in the Pacific Basin. Cloud Peak also has below-average costs for the Powder River Basin, one of the lowest-cost coal producing regions in the world, allowing it to compete even at natural gas pricing nearing US$3/mmBcf."
Shares of Cloud Peak Energy fell to a 52-week low of $15.72 on Thursday. The stock's 52-week high of $24.34 was set on Oct. 28.Cloud Peak Energy has an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 7.25 times; the average for coal companies is 12.2. For comparison, Peabody Energy (BTU) has a lower forward P/E of 6.63; Consol Energy's (CNX) forward P/E is 11.36. Ten of the 19 analysts who cover Cloud Peak Energy rated it buy. Eight analysts gave the stock a hold rating and one rated it sell. TheStreet Ratings gives Cloud Peak Energy a C grade and a hold rating. The stock has declined 18.32% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV