SAN DIEGO, March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and Appliance Recycling Centers of America, Inc. (ARCA) recently marked the 150,000th appliance collection at a local customer's home.
"This is a significant milestone for us and is an example of the many ways we are working together with our customers to make responsible choices that help the environment," said Caroline Winn, vice president of customer services and chief customer privacy officer for SDG&E. "Just within the past two years, 34,000 SDG&E customers have recycled appliances, saving the equivalent of the annual greenhouse gas emissions from nearly 4,500 passenger vehicles. These customers also saved an average of more than $200 on their annual energy bill."
The Appliance Recycling Program, which has been available since 2000, provides SDG&E residential electric customers a rebate to recycle their old, working refrigerators, freezers and/or room air conditioners. A $35 rebate is provided per refrigerator/freezer, and a $25 rebate is provided for room air conditioners that are collected in conjunction with a refrigerator/freezer. The appliances, which are picked up inside the customers' home and are properly recycled in a local California recycling center, provide a convenient and environmentally friendly solution for the disposal of old, working refrigeration appliances.According to SDG&E customer Michael Thomas, the financial incentive and free haul-away were key reasons that motivated him to sign up for the Appliance Recycling Program. "This is a great program. We just had our first child and the money will sure come in handy," said Thomas. A 20-year-old refrigerator or freezer can consume two to four times more energy annually than a new model, and, as a result, can significantly increase customers' energy bills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV