Intel shares have performed well year-to-date, gaining 16.67%, and 38.28% year-over-year.
The chip giant has had exceptional gross margin performance, in the low 60% range, and J.P. Morgan raised its first-quarter earnings estimates for the firm, as Danely believes orders are tracking ahead of estimates. J.P. Morgan expects $13 billion in revenue and gross margins of 64% in the first quarter, compared to Intel's guidance of $12.3 billion and $13.3 billion in revenue, and gross margins of 61% to 65%."We are expecting above-seasonal QoQ growth in 2Q12 due to inventory replenishment but roughly normal seasonal growth during 2H12. Moreover, our C12 gross margin estimate of 63.8% is below the midpoint of Intel's guidance of 64.0% due to lower sales," Danely wrote in his research note. Despite Intel's exceptional performance potential and short-term upside, J.P. Morgan downgraded the name in January, on worries about peaking gross margins and estimates. Since the downgrade on January 17, shares have gained 10.54%, compared to a 13.5% gain in the Nasdaq. Danely rates Intel shares "neutral" with a $25 price target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV