Disruptions In Trash and Recycling Pickups Expected as Workers Fight Against Republic's Labor Law Violations and Attacks on Health Care
SEATTLE, March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Workers at Republic Services/Allied Waste [NYSE: RSG] - the nation's second largest solid waste and recycling company - arrived at work in Seattle, Bellevue, Lynnwood and Kent early this morning to find picket lines outside the facilities.
Striking members of Teamster Local Union 991 had traveled from Mobile, Ala. to extend picket lines to Republic's Seattle-area facilities. Members of Teamsters Joint Council 28 and community supporters put up sympathy pickets as well. Republic's workers at these facilities - 250 members of Teamsters Locals 117 and 174, 38 and 763 - refused to cross the lines.On Thursday night, March 22, all 24 Republic Services workers in Mobile went on strike, including two workers who are not members of Teamsters Local 991. They are striking over Republic's labor laws violations. In February, Republic negotiators agreed to a contract, then backed out when they decided they wanted to pay less for workers' families health care coverage. Just hours after Mobile workers went on strike, Republic Services workers in Columbus, Ohio and Buffalo, N.Y. – members of Locals 284 in Columbus and 449 in Buffalo – refused to cross sympathy picket lines in support of the Mobile strikers. Republic's trash and recycling work in those two cities were effectively shut down from Friday through Monday. Sympathy picket lines are now spreading to other Republic facilities across the country, where the Teamsters have nearly 150 contracts. More than 400 Teamster-represented drivers and helpers have now honored picket lines at Republic Services at these facilities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV