Devon Energy http://i.thestreet.com/files/tsc/v2008/photos/graphics/032812_rebecca4.jpg
Devon Energy (DVN) is having a good run right now; over the last six months, this $29 billion oil and gas firm has rallied more than 25%. Now, though, shares are consolidating sideways, offering up an "if/then setup" for this stock. Here's how to play it.
Essentially, an if/then setup is a trade whose direction is contingent on price action. In other words, if DVN breaks out above $76 resistance, then buy. Otherwise, ifshares fall below support at $70, then this stock becomes a short candidate. While there's limited directional bias to this trade right now, there are a few clues about DVN's eventual direction.
The first is momentum, as measured by 14-day RSI. The uptrend in RSI has remained intact since October, a good sign that the upward movement in DVN hasn't fizzled out yet. Because momentum is a leading indicator of price, that's a very good sign. The setup leading up to this consolidation resembles an ascending triangle (see the dashed trendline in the chart) -- that could make DVN's current price action just an elaborate throwback to retest newfound support at $70.Even if that's the case, the rules of the if/then trade still reduce a lot of the risk associated with this stock. Devon shows up on a recent list of 10 Stocks Owned by the Best Fund Managers. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV