First up this week is athletic apparel giant Nike (NKE), a stock that's been enjoying a sustained rally of its own for the last six months; since late September, shares of Nike have rallied more than 21%. But that rally has been very well-defined within a channel -- and now, that channel is creating a trading opportunity in shares.
Over the course of those six months, Nike has touched its trend line support level (the lower boundary of the channel) six times. Each time, it's found support at that line, and bounced higher within the channel.
Now, with NKE testing trend line support again this week, traders could be seeing an optimal entry opportunity before shares make their way back up the channel.Here's the key: It's absolutely essential to wait until after the bounce happens before being a buyer. Support levels do eventually fail, so waiting for a bounce off of trend line support confirms that there's still demand below that line. After NKE bounces higher for one session, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop just under the 50-day moving average. Nike was one of Goldman Sachs' Consumer Stock Best Buys for 2012. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV