McLEAN, Va., March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Freddie Mac (OTC: FMCC) today released the results of its Primary Mortgage Market Survey® (PMMS ®), showing mortgage rates, fixed and adjustable, moving lower on weaker housing economic indicators as the average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage slid just below 4.00 percent for the week.
- 30-year fixed-rate mortgage (FRM) averaged 3.99 percent with an average 0.7 point for the week ending March 29, 2012, down from last week when it averaged 4.08 percent. Last year at this time, the 30-year FRM averaged 4.86 percent.
- 15-year FRM this week averaged 3.23 percent with an average 0.8 point, down from last week when it averaged 3.30 percent. A year ago at this time, the 15-year FRM averaged 4.09 percent.
- 5-year Treasury-indexed hybrid adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) averaged 2.90 percent this week, with an average 0.8 point, down from last week when it averaged 2.96 percent. A year ago, the 5-year ARM averaged 3.70 percent.
- 1-year Treasury-indexed ARM averaged 2.78 percent this week with an average 0.6 point, down from last week when it averaged 2.84 percent. At this time last year, the 1-year ARM averaged 3.26 percent.
Average commitment rates should be reported along with average fees and points to reflect the total upfront cost of obtaining the mortgage. Visit the following links for Regional and National Mortgage Rate Details and Definitions. Borrowers may still pay closing costs which are not included in the survey.
QuotesAttributed to Frank Nothaft, vice president and chief economist, Freddie Mac.
- "Mortgage rates slid this week amid weaker housing economic indicators. The S&P/Case Shiller® 20-City Composite home price index slid in January to its lowest reading since December 2002. In addition, new home sales declined 0.5 percent in February, below the market consensus of an increase, and pending existing home sales also declined for the month."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV