- Clear out the junk. It is much easier to be organized when there is less clutter. Put all receipts together and print out bank and credit card statements. Make a list of all debts including the account number, interest rate, outstanding balance, payment due date, credit limit and the minimum payment. This keeps things organized and prevents bills from being late.
- Review credit reports.Visit AnnualCreditReport.com or call 1-877-322-8228 to request a free credit report from the three primary credit reporting bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). Each bureau is obligated to provide a free credit report every 12 months. Verify that all information is accurate and if mistakes are found, contact the credit-reporting agency immediately. Rather than dispute the mistake via an online form, send a letter that includes complete name and address, a description of each item being disputed, an explanation of why it is getting disputed along with a request for deletion or correction of the information.
- Wipe out debt. Pay off high interest rate debts first. Once the high-interest debt is paid down, tackle the next highest, and so on. Continue paying the minimum due on all other debts.
- Don't hesitate to ask for help. There are reputable debt-counseling agencies that consolidate debt and teach individuals to manage their finances better. Consolidated Credit conducts free budgeting analyses and dispenses free advice on a daily basis. If someone needs help they can speak with a counselor with no obligation by calling 1-800-210-3481 or visiting ConsolidatedCredit.org.
Celebrate National Financial Literacy Month By Clearing Out The Financial Clutter --- Consolidated Credit Offers Financial Spring Cleaning Tips
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.