This complimentary article from Options Profits was originally published on March 29. Don't risk missing over 40 options trade ideas every week and exclusive commentary from over 15 experts. Click here for more information and a 14-Day Free Trial.
Over the life of Pfizer (PFE), because of its size and slow speed, its volatility has not been particularly high. The stock typically moves between a 10%-15% volatility on an annualized basis, not exactly a mover and a shaker. This typically pushes us toward selling options vs buying options.
If we thought there was some impending drug announcement, it might lead us in a different direction. But, with PFE the story is more thematic. For example, the pipeline is getting stronger, better costs and management, etc. In this case it almost always works to sell premium rather than buying it, even in this type of environment.
Before we get to the options trade, let's take a look at the T3/OP video as Jill reviews the longer-term fundamental view and Scott goes to the charts.
For our options strategy, we are going to sell a put spread in May at about $0.30. The intent is to buy it back for $0.10.
Trades: Sell to open PFE May 22 put at $0.50 and buy to open PFE May 21 puts for $0.22.
Options Industry Council FREE Three-Part Webinar Series: Part Two Wednesday, April 4 at 7pm ET. CLICK HERE FOR INVITE AND TO REGISTER.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Mark can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionPit
T3Live can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/_T3live_
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV