NEW YORK, March 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The average rate on the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate retreated to 4.23 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.39 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate was down modestly to 3.44 percent, while the jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage slid to 4.77 percent. Adjustable mortgage rates moved lower also, with the average 5-year ARM reversing course and falling back to 3.14 percent and the 10-year adjustable sinking to 3.68 percent.Mortgage rates dropped back after spiking higher last week. Renewed concerns about the effect of higher gasoline prices on the U.S. economy as well as slower growth in China contributed to this week's rate retreat. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds, so any condition that increases demand for bonds – such as worries about the economy – also helps bring about lower mortgage rates. The last time mortgage rates were above 6 percent was Nov. 2008. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 6.33 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,241.86. With the average rate now 4.23 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $981.54, a difference of $260 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 4.23% -- down from 4.29% last week (avg. points: 0.39) 15-year fixed: 3.44% -- down from 3.48% last week (avg. points: 0.36) 5/1 ARM: 3.14% -- down from 3.24% last week (avg. points: 0.35)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV