Halcon Resources Stock Downgraded (HK)
The original version of this story incorrectly referred to Halcon Resources as Petrohawk Energy. Additionally, the market capitalization of Halcon Resources has been corrected.NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Halcon Resources (NYSE: HK) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally weak debt management, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 184.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$4.29 million to -$12.20 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 33.96 and currently higher than the industry average, implying that there is very poor management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.39, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, HALCON RESOURCES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for HALCON RESOURCES CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 2.40%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -98.50% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $6.02 million or 29.74% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts