"Red Hat is the first pure-play, open source company, and one of only a select few software companies, to have achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone," said Jim Whitehurst, the company's president and CEO, in a statement. "The open source technologies which we provide are being selected by more customers every day as they re-architect the infrastructure of their data centers for greater efficiency, agility and cloud enablement."
The stock was last quoted at $55.90, up 9%, on volume of more than 650,000, according to Nasdaq.com.
Also drawing some trading interest after the bell was Red Lion Hotels (RLH), which announced plans to explore its strategic options.
The company said its board has hired Bank of America Merrill Lynch to look at ways to "maximize shareholder value, including a potential sale of the company or a strategic combination with a third party."Red Lion has formed a strategic committee comprised of three independent directors to work with B of A on the review. The stock ran as high as $9.19 in extended trades but volume was light. The company didn't put any time constraints on the evaluation period, and said it would not be disclosing any developments unless or until a final decision is made. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV