General Electric (GE) is another name that should probably qualify for "prototypical blue-chip" status. This firm is involved in a bevy of heavy manufacturing segments, from making jet engines to wind turbines and medical equipment. It's also arguably the only way to get financial sector exposure in your Dogs of the Dow portfolio; with around 25% of GE's profits coming from its financial services arm, the company is uniquely positioned to offer investors instant diversification.
GE's industrial arm is still the most attractive part of the firm. While industrials took their knocks during the recession when clients got shy about acquiring capital-intense assets, GE is making up for lost time in 2012.And investors have been taking note, making GE one of the most-bought industrial names in the last quarter. The firm's 3.4% dividend yield cements it in sixth place on the Dogs list. As of the most recently reported quarter, General Electric is one of Warren Buffett's holdings. Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV